The Sanctuary of San Rocco, also called the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Popolo by the people of Gardone, was completed in 1582 on the hill overlooking the town of Gardone Val Trompia.
Its original function of protection from plagues was, in fact, replaced by a new one: on 27 April 1768, the Confraternity of San Rocco transferred a 17th-century fresco previously placed in the loggia of the parish there. For this occasion, the Confraternity also saw to the creation of the frontal of the high altar rich in polychrome marble, in perfect Baroque style.
This was the start of a tradition that never waned and led to a radical expansion in the first half of the 19th century. In fact, in 1919, new decorations by Giuseppe Trainini and the Gardonese brothers, Battista and Giuseppe Mozzoni, were also added. A faith that, at the height of World War II, was embodied in new restorations that included an entrance staircase to the small churchyard. Then, in 1947, the painting of the Madonna del Popolo by the artist Pietro Galanti was adorned by the “Mothers of Gardone” with a crown of gold and diamonds.